by Peter Owen Jones
Pinstone Street, Sheffield, 1950s
Open edition print - lithograph
Image size: 540 x 400mm
To the right are the Peace Gardens, formally known as St Pauls Gardens and the original site of St Pauls church. This was demolished in 1939 to make room a new Town Hall extension but due to the outbreak of war in 1939, this was postponed and later cancelled. This area was renamed the Peace Gardens following the signing of the Munich agreement. This painting is a prime example of Peters ability to capture mood and light with his clever use of colour.