"Sandon Railway Station"
by Debra Wagner
print in cream mount, 11 x 14 inches
The quiet simplicity of Sandon Railway Station is lovely. The station itself has quite an interesting history, it was built in 1849 for the convenience of the guests visiting the Earl of Harrowby living at Sandon Hall. The distinctive archway covered entrance seen at the rear of the property was designed to afford protection from the weather whilst the Earl and his guests were alighting from their carriages.
The station was closed for services in 1955, and the buildings fell into a state of disrepair. The station was bought by the Sandon Estate in 1970, and in 1985 it was renovated back to its former glory. This beautiful station building is now a privately owned.
watermark does not appear on print