"Alton Railway Station"
by Debra Wagner
print in cream mount, 11 x 14 inches
A Stanier 8F locomotive, 2-8-0, number 48340, stops briefly at Alton Station, as would have been seen during the 1950's.
The buildings at Alton were quite different to most of the other stations on the Churnet Valley Railway, this was to reflect the wishes of the local Earl of Shrewsbury at the time. The buildings were built of local sandstone in a distinctive style, with elegant pantile roofs.
Alton Railway Station opened for service in July 1849, but was closed to both goods and passenger traffic by 1965. Today the buildings have been partially restored and are owned by The Landmark Trust.
watermark does not appear on print